Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Where is my hat?

When I first started down this road of tribe extension and creating brand spanking new community for Christ...I had no idea that the wisdom of Barry Carpenter would be as spot on as it was at the time... I ask Barry who has lots of experience as a coach of other "planters" told e that the greatest difficulty I will run into is a lack of FOCUS. His words have been true ever since the start of this process through to today and I have a feeling will always be the case.

My role is primarily to help form and develop a new Christ centered culture and community in and around the Union community as an extension of ministries from FUMC...but I also have specific roles in FUMC that are a whole other hat that I must wear at specific points. And to top it all off....it is becoming a wonderfully exciting and challenging task of sifting through al of the amazing opportunities that God is placing before us...and through prayer discerning what direction f all the possibilities we should pursue and which others we should allow others to meet and grow in.

It is a challenge to know that this ministry extension that I am leading is and will always be an extension and never separate from the heart of the extension FUMC. and that my roles are in each place. (And they should and need to be) But I must not ever to forget how to keep my FOCUS and somehow form two hats into one. It is a unique challenge, and one that sure is fun...so to make a long story short...please keep the prayers for me and God's leading of the tribe extension and FUMC in these important times.

-------------------------------

Well, I need to take the time this week to decide how many houses and groups will need to be formed in the Union area (and possibly elsewhere down the road) with the current active families/individuals in FUMC and start the meetings with each group soon. This should not take long...but then the tedious work of forming a meeting and developing the meeting agenda will be my next big tackle.

--------------------------------

I am meeting with John Choi this Friday a good friend of mine for several years now who is currently getting his Doctorate in Hebrew Studies to start forming what we feel is a basic understanding of what is effective in reaching non-Christians in a transformational community. What would the feel of the group be? How will it look? Where should it meet? How would it form? How will it birth or such communities? How will it be structured if it even should be? How will it promote life transformation for Christ...and not simply weekly participation of one hour and then a new hat is put on after a gathering?

It is a challenge and one that is exciting...I hope to have a small glimpse of what questions we should ask and then start the first steps in sending the personal invitations to the friends we both have developed and see if we can start allowing God to guide our discussion and passion towards his desires for this world and our lives. Exciting yes...but in serious need of discernment and FOCUS.

----------------------------

I also plan on meeting sometime next week with a few people that have been "doing" house cell "church" for several years now and hope to hear some struggles and achievements for God so that it could possibly help our FOCUS to be on God and others. Very excited about this opportunity and hope to share more with you all in the near future.

---------------------------

I am also developing a God sized relationship with the Associate Pastor of Union Pres. and it really is looking as if God desires for us to do some bridging beyond denominations and develop a ministry extension of each tribe (FUMC ad Union Pres.) that is unified in passionately reaching non-Christians and growing effective life transforming communities with both Christ followers and non-Christians alike.

It is amazing when you honestly and prayerfully tell God that you ask for him to give you no expectations and allow him to guide you into a place that is so far beyond any box that we could ever place God in how he can show you glimpses of something so amazing that there is no way that it would ever be able to come from on of us. I guess one could look a what God is doing and say, "wow....that is so big that I am dwarfed by what is need to bring it to fruition" and then shut down....but then there are those crazy people like me and John The Baptist, and a few others in the bible (please don't misunderstand me I am not considering me equal to J. the B. but I do know there is a part of me that is crazy and insane or I would not have the feelings that I have) that would say, "Wow...this is crazy......OK you want what to happen and you want me to do it....well what the heck why not....if I die then at least I know that I will die having the time of my life and living every ounce of my being for God and for others!"

--------------------------

I ran across a blog the other day and I think it is very interesting...the question that was asked by Rob Webber is this:

"...do you view God as the object of your worship or the subject of worship?"

I am interested in your thoughts...so please fell free to give your answer in the comments. I look forward to reading your view point. and please follow the link to the question where he talks more about it.

-----------------------

Well, thank you all again for your prayers and thoughts...and please never stop and remember you yes you are just crazy enough to join in this God sized dream of ministry extension...find your place and be barbaric in your following of God in his dream!

----------------------

"Buttercup: Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.
Westley: As you wish.
Grandpa: [narrating] "As you wish" was all he ever said to her.
Buttercup: Farm boy, fill these with water - please.
Westley: As you wish.
Grandpa: [narrating] That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you." And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back.""

----The Princes Bride

(funny how the words "As you wish" sound a lot like "Thy Will be Done")

2 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The designation of God as either a subject of an object is a little fuzzy to me. Perhaps to me it might be is God just distan to us or is the real presence of everything that is good in the world. No matter how it is phrased, God must be the total reason for our being and he must be in us--not simply a statue or a heavenly being. He still must be all-powerful and greatly to be praised. Being close and yet far away from humaness.

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is still a theological statement of words. God must be everything and in everyone. We ultimately have to say: God is in control and by turning our very lives and fears and joys to him, there is no worry about whether we are doing him as an object or as a subject. The real question is "How big is our God" and how much do we believe in his omnipotence and omnipresence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home